Because they’re sharing so many moving parts, BMW decided to unviel the R1250GS (which we’ve already ridden – you can read our launch report HERE) and the R1250R and R1250GS Adventure together at EICMA. And aside from the obvious changes (ShiftCam Tech motor etc), it’s more about rider benefits and colour schemes for 2019.
BMW ShiftCam Technology has been used for the first time in the serial production of BMW Motorrad engines: this enables variation of the valve timings and valve stroke on the intake side. In addition, the intake camshafts are designed for asynchronous opening of the two intake valves, resulting in enhanced swirl of the fresh, incoming mixture and more effective combustion.
Other technical changes to the engine relate to the camshaft drive – now taken care of by a toothed chain (previously a roller chain) – an optimised oil supply, twin-jet injection valves and a new exhaust system.
There are two riding modes available as standard in order to be able to adapt the motorcycle to individual rider preferences. The standard Automatic Stability Control ASC sits alongside the set-off assistant Hill Start Control.
Riding Modes Pro, featuring additional riding modes, Dynamic Traction Control DTC, ABS Pro, Hill Start Control Pro and Dynamic Brake Assistant DBC, available as an optional equipment ex works.
“Riding Modes Pro” is now available as an optional equipment item, featuring the additional riding mode “Dynamic” and “Dynamic Pro” (configurable), Dynamic Traction Control DTC – the R1250GS Adventure also gets “Enduro” and “Enduro Pro” (configurable) modes.
The new Dynamic Brake Control DBC works by reducing engine torque to the rear wheel under extreme braking. It means that the back wheel can still turn just enough (instead of locking up) to keep the bike stable whilst shortening the overall braking distance.
The new R1250RS and R1250GS Adventure now feature a LED headlamp as standard. In addition to this, the LED daytime riding light is available as an optional equipment item for the R1250RS and the R1250GS Adventure as well as for the R1250R, which has halogen headlamps.
Get the optional BMW Motorrad Dynamic ESA “Next Generation” suspension fitted and the bike’s damping automatically adapts to what’s going on underneath the rider plus it automatically adapts to all load options.
The highlights of the new BMW R 1250 R, BMW R 1250 RS and
BMW R 1250 GS Adventure:
• Further developed boxer engine with BMW ShiftCam Technology for
variation of the valve timings and valve stroke on the intake side.
• Even more power across the entire engine speed range, optimised fuel
consumption and emission levels, increased running smoothness and
• Increased output and torque: 100kW (136hp) at 7,750rpm and 143Nm at
6,250rpm (previously: 92kW (125hp) / 125Nm at 6,750rpm and 125Nm at
• Capacity increased to 1,254 cc (previously: 1 170 cc).
• Asynchronous valve opening on the intake side for optimised swirl and
therefore more effective combustion.
• Camshaft drive now via toothed chain (previously roller chain)
• Optimised oil supply and piston base cooling.
• Knock sensor system for optimised travel suitability.
• Latest generation of BMS-O engine control and use of twin-jet injection
valves for even more effective carburetion.
• New exhaust system for optimum performance characteristics.
• Two riding modes, ASC and Hill Start Control as standard.
• Riding Modes Pro, featuring additional riding modes, Dynamic Traction
Control DTC, ABS Pro, Hill Start Control Pro and Dynamic Brake Assistant
DBC, available as an optional equipment item ex works.
• Electronic suspension Dynamic ESA “Next Generation” with fully automatic
• Standard adjustabillity of the seat height on the R 1250 GS Adventure
(exception Style HP) as well as a wide range of seat height variants ex works.
• New optional Sports Handlebars for R 1250 R for a more dynamic riding
• In addition to standard adjustabillity of seat height (exception: HP style for the
R 1250 GS Adventure), wide range of seat height variants ex works.
• LED headlamp for the R 1250 RS (completely new design) and
R 1250 GS Adventure as standard; LED daytime riding light for all models as
an ex works optional equipment item.
• Connectivity: Multifunctional instrument cluster with 6.5 inch full-colour TFT
display offering many features as standard.
• Intelligent Emergency Call as an ex works option.
• BMW Motorrad Spezial – customisation features as optional equipment
items ex works.
• Extended range of optional equipment items and original BMW Motorrad
• The new R 1250 R:
• Dynamic naked bike character in one basic colour, two style variants and
Option 719 Spezial finishes.
• New front spoiler and cockpit cover (R 1250 R and R 1250 RS).
• Newly designed upper trim (R 1250 RS).
• The new F 1250 GS Adventure: Off-road and adventure prowess in two
modern basic finishes and two striking style variants.
• R 1250 GS Adventure with new body features such as black-grained lid for
storage compartment with embossed GS logo, trim for the intake snorkel,
radiator trim with electroplated look, tank bracket and engine protection bars
adapted to the design of the body frame.