Peter Hickman claimed the top spot in the opening Bennetts British Superbike Championship free practice at Thruxton this morning, firing the Smiths Racing BMW to the top of the times on his final run in the hectic closing stages of the session.
The Smiths Racing BMW pairing had been sitting at the top of the times in the closing moments but Jason O’Halloran had moved ahead with Christian Iddon in close contention after leading in the early stages of the session.
Hickman’s last run had put him 0.765s ahead of O’Halloran with Iddon back into third in the final moments before the chequered flag. Dan Linfoot had also been a rider to head the times earlier in the session; he ended the opening practice in fourth place for Santander Salt TAG Yamaha with Josh Brookes completing the top five on the leading Be Wiser Ducati.
Luke Mossey was sixth fastest on the OMG Racing Suzuki ahead of Ellison who dropped to seventh in the closing stages with Tommy Bridewell holding eighth for Oxford Racing Ducati at their home round. Luke Stapleford and Tarran Mackenzie completed the top ten as Scott Redding clocked the 14th fastest time, just ahead of Glenn Irwin on his debut for Tyco BMW.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Thruxton, Free Practice 1:
- Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW) 1m:15.234s
- Jason O’Halloran (McAMS Yamaha) +0.765s
- Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) 0.866s
- Dan Linfoot (Santander Salt TAG Yamaha) +1.024s
- Josh Brookes (Be Wiser Ducati) +1.064s
- Luke Mossey (OMG Racing Suzuki) +1.186s
- James Ellison (Smiths Racing BMW) +1.261s
- Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Racing Ducati) +1.312s
- Luke Stapleford (Buildbase Suzuki) +1.335s
- Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) +1.427s