Josh Brookes claimed the Monster Energy King of the Mountain title at Cadwell Park by claiming the second Bennetts British Superbike Championship race victory of the weekend in Lincolnshire and put himself back at the top of the standings ahead of Oulton Park.
Tommy Bridewell had got off to a flying start in race two, firing the Oxford Racing Ducati to the front of the pack ahead of Brookes and Buchan with the BMWs of Peter and Christian Iddon in close pursuit.
The drama started early in the race, with Andrew Irwin colliding with Scott Redding on the second lap, sending them both crashing out of the race. The Honda Racing rider was penalised with two penalty points for contact causing a crash, which means having reached a cumulative five penalty points, he will start from the back of the grid for the next race at Oulton Park.
At the front Bridewell was holding the lead until Brookes made a decisive move at Park corner on lap twelve and then he kept his rival at bay until the chequered flag with Buchan claiming another podium finish. The results mean that Brookes, Bridewell and Redding are now confirmed Title Fighters in the Showdown.
Iddon moved to within 21 points of the Showdown with a fourth place for Tyco BMW, holding off Hickman in the closing stages of the race with Glenn Irwin taking his best result of the season on the second Tyco BMW in sixth.
Ryan Vickers was seventh for the RAF Regular & Reserve Kawasaki team to claim his best result of his rookie season ahead of Luke Stapleford and Xavi Forés with Billy McConnell completing the top ten on his stand-in appearance for OMG Racing Suzuki.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Cadwell Park, Race 2 result:
- Josh Brookes (Be Wiser Ducati)
- Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Racing Ducati) +0.476
- Danny Buchan (FS-3 Racing Kawasaki) +3.002s
- Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) +14.216s
- Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW) +14.520s
- Glenn Irwin (Tyco BMW) +22.427s
- Ryan Vickers (RAF Regular & Reserve Kawasaki) +24.916s
- Luke Stapleford (Buildbase Suzuki) +32.300s
- Xavi Forés (Honda Racing) +34.591s
- Billy McConnell (OMG Racing Suzuki) +34.889s
Bennetts British Superbike Championship standings after Cadwell Park:
- Josh Brookes (Be Wiser Ducati) 271
- Scott Redding (Be Wiser Ducati) 259
- Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Racing Ducati) 243
- Danny Buchan (FS-3 Racing Kawasaki) 191
- Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) 151
- Andrew Irwin (Honda Racing) 146