Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha SRT) sent an early warning sign to his rivals after going tantalisingly close to the outright Silverstone lap record in FP1, the French rookie slammed in a 1:59.952 to head Championship leader Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) by 0.586. Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) was third quickest despite a crash at Stowe corner.
The much-talked-about Silverstone surface got it’s first MotoGP test on Friday morning under sunny skies, and it was Marquez who was the early pacesetter. The number 93 sat top of the times with a 2:00.6 before Quartararo stuck in some fresh medium rubber. ‘El Diablo’ shot to P1 with a sub-2:00 to go 0.011 slower than Marquez’ lap record, can we expect that record to tumble this afternoon?
Viñales didn’t let the Turn 7 crash deter him, the Spaniard was on the pace throughout FP1 to eventually go 0.154 slower than second place Marquez as two Yamahas sit inside the top three. Alex Rins (Team Suzuki Ecstar) was over a second behind Quartararo, but the Suzuki man was able to take fourth ahead of fifth place Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha SRT).
Austrian GP winner Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) led Valentino Rossi (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) in sixth and seventh respectively, ‘The Doctor’ ensuring four Yamahas were well inside the top 10. Home hero Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda Castrol), Danilo Petrucci (Ducati Team) and Pramac Racing’s Jack Miller completed the top 10 in FP1.
Karel Abraham (Reale Avinita Racing) and Sylvain Guintoli (Team Suzuki Ecstar) crashed, riders ok.
Lap records look set to be smashed at Silverstone, but who by? Can anyone stop Quartararo in FP2? Tune in at 14:10 local time (GMT+1) to find out!
1. Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha SRT) – 1:59.952
2. Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) + 0.586
3. Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 0.740
4. Alex Rins (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 1.027
5. Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha SRT) + 1.050
6. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) + 1.053
7. Valentino Rossi (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 1.346
8. Cal Crutchlow (LCR Castrol Honda) + 1.443
9. Danilo Petrucci (Ducati Team) + 1.486
10. Jack Miller (Pramac Racing) + 1.583