Andrew Irwin led the Bennetts British Superbike Championship warm up times for Honda Racing at a damp Donington Park this morning, moving to the top of the timesheets in the final moments ahead of this afternoon’s opening race.
The session got underway and Tommy Bridewell had been one of the first riders to launch to the top of the order, but two laps into the warm up Showdown contender Danny Buchan crashed out unhurt on the exit of Goddards.
Bridewell was holding the leading position from Taylor Mackenzie and Buchan with Josh Brookes and Tarran Mackenzie inside the top five after the opening half of the session, but after an impressive debut with Tyco BMW Taylor crashed out unhurt.
As the final ten minutes of the session counted down, Bridewell still had the edge from James Ellison and Brookes with Irwin in fourth but in the final minutes Irwin had leapt up the order just before the chequered flag.
Tarran Mackenzie was second at the end of the session to be the leading Title Fighter, just ahead of Brookes and Christian Iddon on the leading Tyco BMW.
Peter Hickman was fifth fastest on the Smiths Racing BMW with Ben Currie moving ahead of Bridewell in the final stages. Pole position sitter Scott Redding was eighth fastest with Xavi Forés and Ellison completing the top ten.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Donington Park, Warm up result:
- Andrew Irwin (Honda Racing) 1m:40.949s
- Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) +0.504s
- Josh Brookes (Be Wiser Ducati) +0.862s
- Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) +0.900s
- Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW) +1.038s
- Ben Currie (Quattro Plant – JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +1.322s
- Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Racing Ducati) +1.338s
- Scott Redding (Be Wiser Ducati) +1.428s
- Xavi Forés (Honda Racing) +1.513s
- James Ellison (OMG Racing Suzuki) +1.541s