Launched in 1985, the original Yamaha VMAX was famous for its brutal, drag-bike inspired styling and relentless acceleration. The VMAX Carbon is an £18,749 OTR special edition for 2015, but following on from the recent ‘Yard Built‘ projects, the VMAX is next in line to see some custom treatment.
Incredibly, this special edition is a sizeable drop in price over the £21,499 the VMAX cost last year. But Yamaha has also announced that the standard bike – now called the VMAX Matt Grey – will drop down to £15,749 OTR. With fuel prices dropping too, this exclusive machine just got a little more attainable.
With this being the bike’s 30th anniversary, and Yamaha promising some exciting designs from the likes of German custom shop JvB-moto, we’re pretty sure we’ll soon be seeing a pretty special new bike available to buy, if the recent XJR1300 and XJR1300 Racer announcements – also Yard Built project – are anything to go by.
Here’s what Yamaha told us in a press release:
To mark 30 years since the arrival of the original VMAX, Yamaha’s Sport Heritage range is strengthened with the introduction of the exclusive VMAX Carbon. Based on the current 1,679cc 197bhp V4 model, this iconic special edition combines outstanding musclebike performance with cutting edge style.
The VMAX Carbon’s tank cover, front and rear fenders and side covers are all manufactured from lightweight carbon fibre – and for an even more evocative V4 growl this special edition comes equipped with upswept Akrapovic slip-on mufflers. Available from February onwards, this high-specification VMAX Carbon offers exceptional value to those customers who want to own the most iconic musclebike ever built.
New Yard Built VMAX by JvB-moto
Yamaha is gearing up to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the original VMAX with the unveiling of a number of exotic new Yard Built specials. The first of these is being created by German builder Jens vom Brauck, who is working on his first ever Yard Built project – and Yamaha have commissioned other custom builders to create two more Yard Built specials for delivery around June and September 2015.
Better known as JvB-moto, Jens is already well into the build at his workshops near Cologne, transforming the VMAX into something worthy of its iconic status. Yard Built fans can expect to see a stripped back creation combining modern materials with a custom twist, that also pays homage to all that was good about design in the 80’s – the birthplace of the original VMAX monster muscle machine.
New Matt Grey VMAX with realigned price
To underline Yamaha’s ongoing commitment towards creative motorcyclists, the standard VMAX will now be offered as a Matt Grey version whose pure and neutral paint finish offers the ideal starting point for those customers wishing to create their own Yard Built special. From February 2015 the standard VMAX becomes available with a significantly reduced price of £15,749.
VMAX Carbon Highlights
- The ultimate drag racer inspired musclebike
- 200PS 1,679cc V4 liquid-cooled engine
- Massive power with raw torque output
- Exclusive carbon bodywork and Akrapovic mufflers
- Built to customize and make it your own
- Aluminium diamond-type twin spar frame
- Dual 320mm front discs with radial 6-pot callipers
- Large diameter 298mm rear disc
- Efficient shaft drive system
- 5-spoke alloy wheels with wide 200/50-18 rear tyre
- Compact and natural riding position
- The timeless motorcycling icon
VMAX Matt Grey Highlights
- Super-powerful 1,679cc 4-stroke V4 engine
- Low profile aluminium frame
- Big, muscular design
- Hearty exhaust growl
- Great performance through rpm range
- Short powerplant centres mass for better handling
For more information, please go to: www.yamaha-motor.eu
- Buy AND Sell your bike for FREE! Yeah, FREE. Place your ad and shift your stuff in front of more than EIGHT AND A HALF MILLION users. - 3 June 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: How to REPLACE your bike’s HOSES and COOLANT. Episode SIX. MoreBikes NEW motorcycle maintenance VIDEO series. - 1 May 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: Episode Five. Replace your bike’s Clutch Plates and Hose. - 24 April 2020
Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...
Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper
Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.
Get MoreBikes.co.uk Updates
Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.