A decent textile jacket/trouser combo is essential. Leathers don’t provide as much warmth, aren’t waterproof and you can’t wear your office clothes underneath them. A good set can be pricey, but look on them as an investment: they’ll last you many years if looked after and you can rewaterproof them with readily available sprays each year if needed.
Here’s what to look for:
- You’ll need a waterproof outer membrane like Gore-Tex. Many jackets and trousers have an inner waterproof lining as the outer material isn’t 100% waterproof. These do work, but once your outer layer is waterlogged, it becomes heavier and there is still a risk of rain getting through.
- Removable (zipped-in) thermal liners. The jacket should have one that lines the sleeves as well as the torso.
- Good fit. Should be roomy enough to allow layers underneath yet the neck and wrist cuffs should seal enough not to let the wind in. Waist/arm adjusters on the jacket are always good as they allow you to tailor the fit.
- If buying a set, make sure they zip together as this greatly reduces the danger of wind getting in
- Ensure all main zips have a storm flap and pockets should be waterproof, again with flaps over the zips.
- CE armour in the knees, shoulders and elbows offer protection and a extra layer against windchill.
- Buy AND Sell your bike for FREE! Yeah, FREE. Place your ad and shift your stuff in front of more than EIGHT AND A HALF MILLION users. - 3 June 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: How to REPLACE your bike’s HOSES and COOLANT. Episode SIX. MoreBikes NEW motorcycle maintenance VIDEO series. - 1 May 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: Episode Five. Replace your bike’s Clutch Plates and Hose. - 24 April 2020
Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...
Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper
Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.
Get MoreBikes.co.uk Updates
Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.