Q: Straddling my motorcycle in traffic with my headphones in listening to a podcast, all hell broke loose as I was barged on to the floor by two scally lads trying to nick my bike. I managed to get up quickly and then it was like a scene from a bad 80s movie with me fighting in the street.

I fended the two scumbags off until some locals grabbed them. It was only later when the Police arrived that I realised one of the scum had stabbed me in the leg and I’d broken my wrist when I’d been pushed off. I’ve now been off work for six weeks and lost a fair chunk of money. Is there any way I can get compensated, as I don’t reckon the scum will have a pot to pee in even if I sued them and won?

A: I reckon even Jackie Chan would have struggled fighting two scumbags with a broken wrist. If they are, in fact, ‘men of ‘straw’ you could go through a lengthy and costly court case, get an order against them and never actually see any


The easiest path to take is to apply to The Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme. In simple terms, this is a government-funded scheme that compensates blameless victims of violent crime in Great Britain. If you qualify they will pay out for mental or physical injury and loss of earnings, etc, following a crime of violence. The Government website is very useful. Whilst it can take a long time to get paid out, there is a fund to help you.

White Dalton Solicitors is Britain’s most specialist motorcycle law practice. Managing partner Andrew ‘Chef’ Prendergast and his bike riding barristers compile Motor Cycle Monthly’s legal column very month, offering our readers essential motorcycle legal advice. www.whitedalton.co.uk

Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...

Bikes for sale

Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper

Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.

Get MoreBikes.co.uk Updates

Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...

You can unsubscribe at any time.