Bred from technologies conceived, refined, and track tested in the development of MotoGP machines like the GSV-R and GSX-RR, the GSX-R1000 gains ABS for 2015. Here are the full details from Suzuki…
The Top Performer
For more than a decade, the GSX-R1000 was the most successful name in 1,000cm3 production-based road racing around the globe, earning it the title of The Top Performer. It’s a record and title gained through a dedicated drive to Own The Racetrack—a passion that runs deep among Suzuki engineers.
Bred from the same DNA as our MotoGP machines, the GSX-R1000 draws heavily on Suzuki’s racing expertise. Commemorating the marquee’s 2015 return to MotoGP racing, the new GSX-R1000 also comes dressed in Suzuki Racing Blue to express Suzuki’s spirit and passion for racing. Equipped with an Antilock Brake System, it’s ready to reclaim its Top Performer status and Own The Racetrack.
Anti-lock Brake System
A standard feature on the GSX-R1000 ABS is an Anti-lock Brake System that enhances brake performance. The system monitors wheel speeds to match stopping power to available traction helping prevent wheels from locking up due to hard braking or to changes in road conditions. Front brakes feature Brembo radial-mount monoblock calipers that deliver exceptional controllability with immense stopping power.
Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (S-DMS)
The unique S-DMS system allows the rider to select from three fuel-injection and ignition-system maps, thereby adjusting power delivery to suit personal preferences.
A button on the left handlebar control module lets the rider instantly switch between the three maps, which are displayed as “A”, “B”, and “C” on the instrument panel.
The “A” setting yields sharp throttle response throughout the throttle-opening range to realize maximal power delivery. The “B” setting yields relatively soft throttle response up to the middle of the throttle-opening range. The “C” setting yields relatively soft throttle response throughout the throttle-opening range by reducing engine power.
More power and acceleration
- 9999cc 4-cylinder powerplant, with Bore x stroke of 74.5mm x 57.3mm brings enhanced throttle response across the entire rpm range and greater potential for racetrack performance.
- Optimized camshaft profiles for great racing potential were developed using proven MotoGP racing engine technology.
- Optimally shaped combustion chambers and a compression ratio of 12.9:1 promote low-range and mid-range performance and help achieve a broad torque curve.
- Lightweight, durable forged pistons are designed with the Finite Element Method (FEM) and fatigue analysis technology used for MotoGP racing engines.
- Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM)-plated cylinders integrated into the upper crankcase reduce friction and improve heat transfer, durability and ring seal.
- Pentagonal shaped ventilation holes in the sides of each cylinder bore reduce pumping losses due to internal crankcase air-pressure resistance to downward piston movement.
- The 4-2-1 exhaust system carries a Suzuki Exhaust Tuning (SET) valve maximizing torque and throttle response, especially in the low-to-mid rpm range.
Controlled braking and cornering
- Race-proven back-torque-limiting clutch contributes to smoother downshifting and corner entry.
- Big Piston Front Forks (BPF) with an endurance-race-proven design deliver superb feedback and responsive, stable operation, and are lightweight.
- The front disc brakes are equipped with the top-of-the –line radial-mount Brembo monoblock calipers.
- A lightweight and compact twin-spar frame is made of five cast sections. It is mated with an arched swingarm made of three castings and one-piece die-cast rear subframe.
- The compact engine enables short wheelbase and long swingarm at the same time to enhance cornering performance.
- Electronically controlled steering damper provides lighter steering at slower speeds and more damping force at racetrack and highway speeds.
For the racetrack and the road
It’s a machine that can accommodate riders of different levels. Twist the grip and the bike accelerates, apply the brakes and it decelerates—these are basic functions that you’d expect with any bike, but bikes that let you perform these basics with this high level of confidence are few and far between. It’s a joy to ride racetrack and street. That is the great advantage of the GSX-R.
Highly balanced machine
Acceleration, braking, cornering—an exceptionally high level of balance between these fundamentals creates a feeling of unity with the bike, making it like an extension of the rider’s limbs. The level of perfection that Suzuki has achieved is impressive to say the least. It possesses the heart and the soul of Suzuki engineering.
- Buy AND Sell your bike for FREE! Yeah, FREE. Place your ad and shift your stuff in front of more than EIGHT AND A HALF MILLION users. - 3 June 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: How to REPLACE your bike’s HOSES and COOLANT. Episode SIX. MoreBikes NEW motorcycle maintenance VIDEO series. - 1 May 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: Episode Five. Replace your bike’s Clutch Plates and Hose. - 24 April 2020
Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...
Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper
Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.
Get MoreBikes.co.uk Updates
Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.