The Suzuki V-Strom 650XT builds on the machine’s popularity with wire-spoked aluminium wheels, new styling and a wider range of accessories (those panniers are optional extras). Here’s the full press-release from Suzuki:
Following the introduction of V-Strom 1000 ABS, Suzuki proudly presents the newest line of motorcycle in its V-Strom range. 12 years after the birth of the V-Strom series, the V-Strom 650XT expands your adventure field.
Major features of the V-Strom650XT are:
- Sporty performance: Versatile, dependable 645cc V-twin engine; Finely tuned Fuel injection system; Lightweight, compact Aluminum frame; Newly equipped, spoke wheels and tubeless tires.
- Touring performance: Lightweight digital ABS; Comfortable, upright riding position; Informative, multi-function instrument; 3-way height adjustable wind screen; Tool-less adjustable rear suspension; Low seat height.
- Styling design features; Newly designed, distinctive beak design; Narrow and compact bodywork; Newly designed top case and side cases. (Optional accessories)
- The V-Strom 650XT inherits the lightweight and rigid aluminum twin-spar frame and swingarm of the current model. Compared with the steel frames used on competing models, the lightweight frame with superior rigidity and balance perfectly complements the smooth and powerful engine, for steady handling and maneuverability.
- The frame is constructed of cast and extruded pieces. The swingarm (length: 598.3 mm) consists of extruded arm and pivot and a cast joint section, and provides 159 mm of rear-wheel travel.
- By replacing the cast aluminum wheels to wire-spoked aluminum rims, the chassis absorption is increased at low speed
Wheels & Tyres
- Newly designed, wire-spoked aluminum wheel rims, manufactured by DID, are made light weight, provide sporty appearance and friendly handling character. Thanks to the new spoke wheels, shock absorption performance is increased at low speeds.
- Regardless of the spoke wheels, the rims are designed to be mated with tubeless tyres. If a tubeless tyre gets a small puncture, air escapes only through the hole, leading to a gentle deflation.
- Tyres are 110/80R19M/C 59H front, 150/70R17M/C 69H radial tire. The tires provide great balance of life and road grip.
|Wheel rim size||19M/C x MT2.50||17M/C x MT4.00|
|Tyre size||110/8019M/C 59H||150/70R17 M/C 69H|
|Brand||Trail Wing TW101||Trail Wing TW152|
- Pursuing the functionality demanded by adventure tourers based on the keywords of “Tough x Smart”, we created a new model shape with a wildness that conveys adventurous spirit.
- The styling design features a tough image and sporty lightness with well-balanced proportions achieved by combining painted parts of expressive shape and black resin parts with different textures, plus details that emphasize functionality.
- The fuel tank section, seat, frame cover and grab bars are designed for maximum riding comfort
Beak design inspired by Suzuki heritage
- New front “Beak” is designed to enhance the Suzuki heritage – adventure spirit. In 1988, former motocross world champion Gaston Rahier participated in the Paris-Dakar rally aboard the DR-Z. Suzuki then introduced the DR-BIG as a production version of his DR-Z.
- With its distinctive “beak-like” front cowl design, the DR-Z had a major impact on the motorcycle design field. It has now become common for other manufacturers to emulate this design motif. However, this distinctive design was originated by Suzuki, and it expresses Suzuki’s adventurous spirit.
- That’s why we incorporated this design element on the V-Strom 1000, and now on the V-Strom 650XT to show this personality in our new adventure touring machine
- The new “Beak” is smoothly integrated with the front body work, with silver accent part in the center of the beak. The beak has intake ducts which lead air to radiator.
|Overall Length||2290 mm (90.2 in)|
|Overall width||835 mm (32.9 in)|
|Overall height||1405 mm (55.4 in)|
|Wheelbase||1560 mm (61.4 in)|
|Ground clearance||175 mm (6.9 in)|
|Seat height||835 mm (32.9 in)|
|Curb mass||215 kg|
|Engine type||4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 90° V-Twin|
|Bore x stroke||81.0 mm x 62.6 mm (3.2 in x 2.5 in)|
|Engine displacement||645 cm³|
|Compression ratio||11.2 : 1|
|Fuel system||Fuel injection|
|Lubrication system||Wet sump|
|Transmission||6-speed constant mesh|
|Primary reduction ratio||2.088 (71/34)|
|Final reduction ratio||3.133 (47/15)|
|Suspension||Front||Telescopic, coil spring, oil damped|
|Rear||Link type, coil spring, oil damped|
|Rake / trail||26° / 110 mm (4.3 in)|
|Brakes||Front||Disc brake, twin|
|Tires||Front||110/80R19M/C 59H, tubeless|
|Rear||150/70R17M/C 69H, tubeless|
|Ignition system||Electronic ignition (Transistorized)|
|Fuel tank capacity||20.0 L(5.3 / 4.4US / lmp gal)|
|Oil capacity (Overhaul)||2400 ml (2.5/2.1 US/lmp qt)|
- Buy AND Sell your bike for FREE! Yeah, FREE. Place your ad and shift your stuff in front of more than EIGHT AND A HALF MILLION users. - 3 June 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: How to REPLACE your bike’s HOSES and COOLANT. Episode SIX. MoreBikes NEW motorcycle maintenance VIDEO series. - 1 May 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: Episode Five. Replace your bike’s Clutch Plates and Hose. - 24 April 2020
Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...
Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper
Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.
Get MoreBikes.co.uk Updates
Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.