Expert tips for choosing your winter kit
If you’re doing some last minute Christmas shopping for the biker in your life, or just fancy some new kit yourself, have a look at these tips from Scott Empson, Managing Director of Nevis Marketing. Here Scott gives us his top tips for what to look for when buying kit to look after you through the winter conditions:
- Choose items with reflective stripes or fluorescent patches to keep you safe. Make sure you’re seen by other road users this winter. Give them the best chance by making yourself easy to see on those dark nights. When the rain is lashing down and their windscreen is fogged up, you’d be surprised at what a difference hi-vis material can make.
- Layer up. Three thinner layers are more beneficial than one big thick one. You can take them off if the conditions change or put more on if it gets colder, plus, each layer traps a layer of air which helps insulate heat.
- Keep an eye out for breathable materials – they are worth the money. It’s not just the rain that can make the inside of your jacket wet, it’s perspiration too. Breathable fabric ensures your sweat can get out and no water can get in.
- Look for items with removable thermal liners – they’re more versatile and you can wear them all year round. It’s great to find a jacket/pair of trousers that you love, but when it comes to summer you may have to start the search again – not if you can just pop the liner out!
- Keep up to date with new technology. Last year we launched the Shark Skwal helmet, the first with LED safety technology, with an inbuilt rechargeable battery enabling the rider to be easily seen during these dark winter months. Products are constantly being innovated so keep up to date, do your research and see what works for you.
- Invest in key pieces – people often try and save some money by purchasing the cheapest gear they can find – for example, by the time you’ve bought three half-decent rainsuits that have leaked, you will have in fact saved yourself some money if you’d gone with the more expensive one!
- Take your time. This doesn’t just apply with riding, but also when getting your gear on. Give yourself plenty of time to get geared up – there’s nothing more annoying that that pesky gap up your sleeve or down your neck – make sure everything is tucked in and fastened up properly before you set off.
For more information or to see the full product range available from Nevis, visit: www.nevis.uk.com
- Buy AND Sell your bike for FREE! Yeah, FREE. Place your ad and shift your stuff in front of more than EIGHT AND A HALF MILLION users. - 3 June 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: How to REPLACE your bike’s HOSES and COOLANT. Episode SIX. MoreBikes NEW motorcycle maintenance VIDEO series. - 1 May 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: Episode Five. Replace your bike’s Clutch Plates and Hose. - 24 April 2020
Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...
Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper
Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.
Get MoreBikes.co.uk Updates
Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.