Intermot show: Here’s the Aprilia 2017 RSV4RR and RF.
Aprilia has just unveiled the new RSV4RR and RF versions of its superbike and according to the factory the 2017 bikes are vastly improved over the current models – to the tune of a whole second a lap faster due to new suspension, electronics, brakes and a downshifter. And it gets a joystick for menu navigation. A joystick…
More than one second faster than before
Aprilia says that the primary goal it followed during development of the new Aprilia RSV4 (in both available versions, RSV4 RR and RSV4 RF) is to be the fastest superbike in the segment. In order to achieve it, Aprilia refined the RSV4’s electronics, suspension and brakes.
APRC (Aprilia Performance Ride Control) is the well known dynamic control suite derived directly from WSB. This progress was possible mainly thanks to the repositioning of the inertial platform that governs the operation, improving accurate detection of the dynamic conditions of the bike, resulting in more efficient electronic control. They shifted the ‘brain’ and now it can detect and react better to what you’re doing on the bike.
The fourth evolution of Aprilia APRC fits in with the new full Ride-by-Wire throttle which is 590 grams lighter than the current unit.
APRC, which comes as standard equipment on the Aprilia RSV4 RR and RF, includes:
- New ATC: Aprilia Traction Control, adjustable on the fly, (without having to release the throttle) to 8 settings thanks to a practical joystick, now has even more fine tuned and higher performance operating logic.
- New AWC: Aprilia Wheelie Control, adjustable to 3 levels, has new, much more precise operating strategies thanks to the repositioning of the inertial platform. Wheelie control can now be adjusted on the fly without closing the throttle, like the ATC, thanks to the new and more practical left side electric block.
- New ALC: Aprilia Launch Control, for use on the track only, with 3 settings, uses even more effective new operating strategies.
- New AQS: Aprilia Quick Shift, the electronic gearbox that allows shifting without closing the throttle and without using the clutch, now with the downshift function as well, to allow clutchless downshifting. Its open-throttle downshifting feature is exclusive.
- New APL: Aprilia Pit Limiter, the system that lets you select and limit the top speed allowed in pit lane at the track or simply to make it easier to comply with posted speed limits on the road.
- New ACC: Aprilia Cruise Control. The new electronic management has allows an advanced cruise control system to be introduced, very convenient on longer trips because it lets you maintain the set speed without touching the throttle.
In addition to the fourth generation APRC system, RSV4 RR and RF come from the factory standard with advanced multimap Cornering ABS, developed in collaboration with Bosch. The 9.1 MP system is able to optimize braking and the ABS intervention in corners thanks to a specific algorithm that constantly monitors various elements like acceleration, the pressure applied to the front brake lever, the lean, pitch and yaw angle, modulating the braking action in order to better guarantee the ratio between deceleration and stability.