BMW has shown the world its new K1600GT, here’s the direct words from the German factory about the big tourer:
The new BMW K 1600 GT – 6-cylinder performance and luxurious comfort for dynamic touring at the very highest level.
6-cylinder in-line engines have been an integral part of BMW automobile history and brand identity for more than 80 years. With the launch of the K 1600 GT and GTL in 2010, BMW Motorrad not only succeeded in skilfully transferring this tradition to the motorcycle area but was also able to position on the market the lightest and most compact 6-cylinder in-line engine for motorcycles with a capacity of over 1,000 cubic centimetres.
Outstanding running smoothness and supreme performance from an output of 160 hp and a torque of 175 Nm were combined with luxurious comfort, virtually perfect wind and weather protection and a level of riding dynamics that was unrivalled in the segment. With the new K 1600 GT, BMW Motorrad takes the concept of the 6-cylinder high-performance touring bike further and presents it in an even more sophisticated, dynamic and comfortable form, unchanged in terms of performance figures but now designed to meet the requirements of the EU4 pollutant class.
Electronic suspension Dynamic ESA with automatic damping adaptation as standard.
While the predecessor model already set new standards in the touring segment in terms of riding stability, dynamics and handling, the new K 1600 GT goes one step further. With the electronically controlled suspension Dynamic ESA and its adjustment modes “Road” and “Dynamic”, both active riding experience and comfort have been significantly enhanced as compared to the predecessor model.
In the standard setting “Road”, damping adaptation is now fully automated across the entire range, thereby offering the very highest level of comfort and traction over virtually all surfaces. This ensures the optimum damping force in all riding states and regardless of load. Depending on customer preference, the spring preload can be adapted to the load state at the press of a button and independently of the damping. Likewise at the press of a button – conveniently positioned on the handlebars, so it is even possible during travel – the rider can switch to the damping characteristics “Dynamic”, thereby selecting a tighter damping set-up overall.
Convenient to manoeuvre due to new reverse assist.
Even more convenient manoeuvring is enabled in the new K 1600 GT by the reverse assist, which can be simply activated from the left-handlebar panel at the press of a button. Movement itself is initiated by the rider by pressing on the starter motor button.
Shift Assistant Pro for shifting up and down without using the clutch.
The Shift Assistant Pro available as an optional equipment item ex works allows the rider to shift up and down without activating the clutch, not only providing greater convenience but also additional dynamic performance. Most shifting can be carried out using the shift assistant.
Instruments with newly designed dials.
The speedometer and engine speed display in the new K 1600 GT now have newly designed dials. The speedometer now prominently bears the inscription K 1600 GT.
Intelligent Emergency Call for rapid assistance in the event of an accident or in emergency situations.
The fastest possible assistance in the event of an accident or emergency or in a dangerous situation is enabled in the new K 1600 GT by means of the e-call system “Intelligent Emergency Call”, which is available as an ex works option. If an emergency situation or an accident occurs, the intelligent emergency call is activated automatically or manually, sending the position data of the motorcycle, and therefore the coordinates of the scene of the accident, setting the rescue chain in motion via the qualified BMW Call Center.
More dynamic design, optimised wind and weather protection and new colour schemes.
While the K 1600 GT previously featured excellent wind and weather protection, its qualities in this area have been further optimised in the new K 1600 GT by means of redesigned side trim parts and enlarged slipstream deflectors. The generally even more dynamic design of the new K 1600 GT also includes three fresh new colour schemes, each of which skilfully showcases the varying character traits of the new performance touring bike.
While Mars Red metallic and Blackstorm metallic contrast with a frame in Asphalt Grey metallic matt, black gloss wheels and the engine in Platinum metallic matt to give the K 1600 GT an air of both refinement and agility, the “Sport” variant conveys dynamic competence. Here, Lupine Blue metallic in conjunction with Blackstorm metallic and a drivetrain finished in black together with golden brake calipers highlight the athletic character of the 6-cylinder touring bike.
An overview of highlights of the new BMW K 1600 GT.
- 6-cylinder in-line engine including new catalytic converters and adapted data status according to EU4 requirements, with an unchanged output of 118 kW (160 hp) at 7 750 rpm and a maximum torque of 175 Nm at 6 500 rpm.
- Electronic suspension Dynamic ESA with automatic damping adaptation as standard.
- Reverse assist for even simpler manoeuvrability as an optional equipment item ex works.
- Shift Assistant Pro for shifting up and down without clutch as an ex-works option.
- Instruments with newly designed dials. Speedometer with K 1600 GT inscription.
- Intelligent Emergency Call as an ex works option for rapid assistance in the event of an accident or in emergency situations.
- Optimised wind and weather protection due to enlarged slipstream deflectors and newly designed side trim parts.
- Even more dynamic design.
- Three attractive new colour variants: Mars Red metallic, Blackstorm metallic and Lupine Blue metallic / Blackstorm metallic.
- Buy AND Sell your bike for FREE! Yeah, FREE. Place your ad and shift your stuff in front of more than EIGHT AND A HALF MILLION users. - 3 June 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: How to REPLACE your bike’s HOSES and COOLANT. Episode SIX. MoreBikes NEW motorcycle maintenance VIDEO series. - 1 May 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: Episode Five. Replace your bike’s Clutch Plates and Hose. - 24 April 2020
Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...
Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper
Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.
Get MoreBikes.co.uk Updates
Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.