Last week we brought you our spy shots of BMW’s HP4 RACE carbon superbike out on final form during track tests in Spain – and today the factory announced that the bike is indeed going on sale to the general public. For nearly £70k.
The bike is the first BMW motorcycle to feature a full carbon fibre frame and made its global outing at the Auto Shanghai 2017 show in China yesterday.
Weighing just 7.8 kilograms, the frame will form the basis for the 750 individually-crafted HP4 RACE bikes being produced. Both wheels are also made using the same high-tech carbon fibre laying technology and are 30 per cent lighter than those made of conventional materials.
BMW says that the RACE’s engine, electronics, brake and suspension technology put this version of the HP4 on the same level as current factory superbike racing machines. Weighing just 171 kilograms when fully-fuelled and track ready, the HP4 RACE is lighter than the current World Superbikes and in the same league as most MotoGP factory prototypes.
Developed purely for the race track, the HP4 RACE comes with a World Superbike spec engine, producing 212bhp. The HP4 RACE comes equipped with Öhlins FGR 300 upside-down forks and TTX 36 GP rear suspension – the same as used in both World Superbike and MotoGP racing series. Brembo GP4 PR monoblock brake calipers also come straight from the world stage.
An extensive package of electronic controls are viewed and controlled through the 2D dash, with data logger included. Dynamic Traction Control, Engine Braking and Wheelie Control can be programmed for each gear, according to rider preference.
BMW HP4 RACE:
- Carbon fibre main frame in monocoque construction weighing just 7.8 kilograms.
- Racing engine at world championship level with an output of 158kW (212bhp) at 13,900 rpm and a maximum torque of 120 Nm at 10 000 rpm.
- Self-supporting carbon fibre rear frame with three-stage height adjustment function.
- Carbon fibre wheels offering a weight reduction of some 30 per cent as compared to light alloy forged wheels.
- Öhlins FGR 300 upside-down fork.
- Öhlins TTX 36 GP spring strut.
- Brembo GP4 PR monoblock brake calipers with 320 T-type racing steel brake disks (thickness: 6.75 mm) at the front.
- Close-ratio racing gearbox with adapted transmission ratios.
- Weight-optimised electrical system featuring light lithium-ion battery with 5 Ah.
- 2D dashboard and 2D data recording including logger.
- Dynamic Traction Control DTC (programmable for selected gears at 15 levels).
- Engine Brake EBR (programmable for selected gears at 15 levels).
- Wheelie Control (programmable for selected gears).
- Launch Control.
- Pit Lane Limiter.
- Light trim parts made of carbon fibre with snap fasteners.
- Paint finish in BMW HP Motorsport colours.
- Production run of 750 units, each individually crafted.
- UK price of £68,000 and available from September 2017.
- Bikes will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis and can be ordered at all BMW Motorrad Centres in the UK.
- Buy AND Sell your bike for FREE! Yeah, FREE. Place your ad and shift your stuff in front of more than EIGHT AND A HALF MILLION users. - 3 June 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: How to REPLACE your bike’s HOSES and COOLANT. Episode SIX. MoreBikes NEW motorcycle maintenance VIDEO series. - 1 May 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: Episode Five. Replace your bike’s Clutch Plates and Hose. - 24 April 2020
Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...
Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper
Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.
Get MoreBikes.co.uk Updates
Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.