The bike uses the German company’s most compact 6-cylinder engine it’s built so far with an output of 160bhp at 7,750rpm, kicking out a maximum torque of 175Nm at 5,250rpm.
But it isn’t a flat-out quick bike – BMW says that: “Based on the principle of ‘The American Way of Riding,’ the top speed is limited to 101mph. This takes into account the fact that customisation with additional fittings in the rear section – as is popular in this vehicle segment – can impact significantly on wheel load distribution, so in terms of riding dynamics, stability and safety are guaranteed in all situations.”
Electronic suspension Dynamic ESA and reverse assist as standard.
In addition to the engine, the standard electronically controlled suspension Dynamic ESA also contributes to the ride of the new BMW Grand America. In the standard setting “Road” it provides fully automated damper adaptation, ensuring the very highest level of comfort and traction on virtually all surfaces. What is more, “Cruise” mode can be activated for a very soft damper set-up and comfort.
Reverse assist, also a standard feature, helps when moving the new BMW Grand America. It is activated by pressing a button on the left-hand handlebar panel. The rider then uses the start button to set the bike in motion.
American style: additional brake light integrated in the top case.
The design of the BMW K 1600 Grand America is inspired by US custom bikes, and this is also reflected in other details at the rear. An additional brake light integrated in the top case gives the rear view a distinctive presence.
An overview of highlights of the new BMW K 1600 Grand America:
- Top case with integrated passenger backrest and additional transport capacity for particularly long trips.
- Side cases and top case with integrated lighting units.
- Optional Style Package with two-colour finish in Blackstorm metallic / Austin Yellow metallic.
- 6-cylinder in-line engine that meets EU4 requirements with an output of 160bhp at 7,750rpm and a maximum torque of 175Nm at 5,250rpm.
- Top speed limited to 162km/h or 101mph.
- Electronic suspension Dynamic ESA with damping modes “Road” and “Cruise” as standard.
- Reverse assist for effortless manoeuvring as standard.
- Effective weather protection due to particularly high windshield.
- Low rear frame, passenger seat reduced by 70 mm and ergonomically adapted footrest position.
- Footboards for relaxed “feet forward” rider seating position as standard.
- Footboards available for passenger as Original BMW Motorrad Accessory.
- Shift Assistant Pro for shifting up and down without clutch activation as an ex works option.
- Intelligent Emergency Call as an ex works option for rapid assistance in an accident or emergency (only available in European markets with ConnectedDrive capability).
- Standard equipment also includes engine protection bars, ABS Pro, Dynamic Traction Control DTC, xenon headlight, heated grips, seat heating, Multi-Controller, three riding modes (Rain, Road, Dynamic), cruise control, audio system with navigation preparation.
- Diverse range of optional equipment items (adaptive turning light, daytime riding light, Keyless Ride, Hill Start Control, central locking etc.).
- Wide range of Original BMW Motorrad Accessories (forged wheels, chrome-plated mirror caps, navigation system etc.)
- Buy AND Sell your bike for FREE! Yeah, FREE. Place your ad and shift your stuff in front of more than EIGHT AND A HALF MILLION users. - 3 June 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: How to REPLACE your bike’s HOSES and COOLANT. Episode SIX. MoreBikes NEW motorcycle maintenance VIDEO series. - 1 May 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: Episode Five. Replace your bike’s Clutch Plates and Hose. - 24 April 2020
Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...
Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper
Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.
Get MoreBikes.co.uk Updates
Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.