Glenn Irwin led the opposition in the opening Bennetts British Superbike Championship free practice session at Brands Hatch this morning, firing the Be Wiser Ducati to the top of the times to hold a narrow 0.115s advantage over McAMS Yamaha’s Josh Brookes.
Brookes had been closing the gap to Irwin, but in the closing stages his team-mate Tarran Mackenzie nipped ahead into second place to push the 2015 champion back into third. Brookes responded with less than five minutes on the clock to move back into second and close the gap to the Be Wiser Ducati.
James Ellison made it four Yamahas inside the top four as he pushed Luke Mossey back into fifth place on the leading JG Speedfit Kawasaki with Christian Iddon completing the top six for Tyco BMW. That pushed Jake Dixon into seventh place with Peter Hickman holding off championship leader Leon Haslam and Michael Laverty who completed the top ten.
Knockhill podium finisher Danny Buchan held twelfth place ahead of the leading Honda of Jason O’Halloran with Tommy Bridewell making his debut with Moto Rapido Ducati in 17th.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Brands Hatch, Free Practice 1:
- Glenn Irwin (Be Wiser Ducati) 1m:25.523s
- Josh Brookes (McAMS Yamaha) +0.115s
- Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) +0.357s
- James Ellison (Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha) +0.453s
- Luke Mossey (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.463s
- Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) +0.473s
- Jake Dixon (RAF Regular & Reserves Kawasaki) +0.538s
- Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW) +0.548s
- Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.561s
- Michael Laverty (Tyco BMW) +0.614s