Glenn Irwin led the opposition in the opening Bennetts British Superbike Championship free practice session at Brands Hatch this morning, firing the Be Wiser Ducati to the top of the times to hold a narrow 0.115s advantage over McAMS Yamaha’s Josh Brookes.
Brookes had been closing the gap to Irwin, but in the closing stages his team-mate Tarran Mackenzie nipped ahead into second place to push the 2015 champion back into third. Brookes responded with less than five minutes on the clock to move back into second and close the gap to the Be Wiser Ducati.
James Ellison made it four Yamahas inside the top four as he pushed Luke Mossey back into fifth place on the leading JG Speedfit Kawasaki with Christian Iddon completing the top six for Tyco BMW. That pushed Jake Dixon into seventh place with Peter Hickman holding off championship leader Leon Haslam and Michael Laverty who completed the top ten.
Knockhill podium finisher Danny Buchan held twelfth place ahead of the leading Honda of Jason O’Halloran with Tommy Bridewell making his debut with Moto Rapido Ducati in 17th.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Brands Hatch, Free Practice 1:
- Glenn Irwin (Be Wiser Ducati) 1m:25.523s
- Josh Brookes (McAMS Yamaha) +0.115s
- Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) +0.357s
- James Ellison (Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha) +0.453s
- Luke Mossey (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.463s
- Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) +0.473s
- Jake Dixon (RAF Regular & Reserves Kawasaki) +0.538s
- Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW) +0.548s
- Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.561s
- Michael Laverty (Tyco BMW) +0.614s
- MotoGP: Jack Miller auctions helmet for bushfire crisis - 11 January 2020
- BSB: Barberá in OMG Racing move for 2020 Bennetts British Superbike Championship - 24 November 2019
- MotoGP: Viñales redeems Island fall to claim formidable Sepang win - 3 November 2019
Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...
Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper
Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.
Get MoreBikes.co.uk Updates
Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.