Glenn Irwin scored his second consecutive pole position in the Bennetts British Superbike Championship at Thruxton, lapping under the circuit record to hit the top of the times for the Be Wiser Ducati team, ahead of Luke Mossey and brother Andrew.
Christian Iddon had initially set the benchmark in Q3 but a flurry of fast laps left the elder of the two Irwin brothers at the top and despite the best efforts of his championship rivals, Glenn had the edge at the chequered flag.
JG Speedfit Kawasaki’s Luke Mossey moved to within 0.032s of the Be Wiser Ducati with the local team securing a front row start with Andrew Irwin celebrating his first front row start in the Superbike class.
Brands Hatch double race winner Josh Brookes will head the second row of the grid on the McAMS Yamaha, but for team-mate Tarran Mackenzie he will start on the back row after suffering a technical problem in the opening session.
Bradley Ray made leaps forward to move into fifth place in Datatag Qualifying for the Buildbase Suzuki team, pushing Jake Dixon back into sixth place on the RAF Regular & Reserves Kawasaki after an earlier run that moved him up the order.
Iddon dropped to seventh place in the closing stages on the leading Tyco BMW, easing championship Leon Haslam into eighth ahead of Danny Buchan who completed the top nine ahead of tomorrow’s opening race.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Thruxton, Datatag Qualifying:
- Glenn Irwin (Be Wiser Ducati) 1m:14.565s
- Luke Mossey (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.032s
- Andrew Irwin (Be Wiser Ducati) +0.117s
- Josh Brookes (McAMS Yamaha) +0.193s
- Bradley Ray (Buildbase Suzuki) +0.264s
- Jake Dixon (RAF Regular & Reserves Kawasaki) +0.461s
- Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) +0.479s
- Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.569s
- Danny Buchan (FS-3 Racing Kawasaki) +1.169s
- MotoGP: Jack Miller auctions helmet for bushfire crisis - 11 January 2020
- BSB: Barberá in OMG Racing move for 2020 Bennetts British Superbike Championship - 24 November 2019
- MotoGP: Viñales redeems Island fall to claim formidable Sepang win - 3 November 2019
Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...
Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper
Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.
Get MoreBikes.co.uk Updates
Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.