Leon Haslam stole the position at the top of the opening Bennetts British Superbike Championship free practice times by just 0.009s from Glenn Irwin who crashed unhurt in the final minute of the session after leading throughout the first 40 minutes.
An incredibly close gap between the leading pack shuffled for the positions with Jake Dixon storming though to third place for the RAF Regular & Reserves Kawasaki team, nudging his FS-3 Racing Kawasaki rival back into fourth place in the closing stages.
Richard Cooper led the Buildbase Suzuki charge, but only just from Bradley Ray and an impressive Tommy Bridewell on the Moto Rapido Ducati.
Luke Mossey made it both JG Speedfit Kawasakis inside the top ten as he held off Andrew Irwin for eighth with Josh Brookes completing the top ten.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Cadwell Park, Free Practice 1:
- Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) 1m:27.069s
- Glenn Irwin (Be Wiser Ducati) +0.009s
- Jake Dixon (RAF Regular & Reserves Kawasaki) +0.041s
- Danny Buchan (FS-3 Racing Kawasaki) +0.374s
- Richard Cooper (Buildbase Suzuki) +0.505s
- Bradley Ray (Buildbase Suzuki) +0.523s
- Tommy Bridewell (Moto Rapido Ducati) +0.782s
- Luke Mossey (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.942s
- Andrew Irwin (Be Wiser Ducati) +0.966s
- Josh Brookes (McAMS Yamaha) +1.020s