Well, this might just about be the most nuts motorcycle at the EICMA show this year. Ducati has just shown it’s V4R Panigale as part of the 2019 model line-up… and the V4R (with a full Akrapovic pipe) kicks out 234hp @ 15,500rpm. Yep.
Ducati says that compared to the previous R version, the Panigale V4R is even more specialised (you don’t say…). The modifications extend far beyond the engine and suspension set-up: for the first time they also include an Aero Pack designed directly by Ducati Corse in close collaboration with the Ducati Style Centre to improve on-track aerodynamic efficiency.
The Panigale V4 R is a road-legal WSBK category racing bike and constitutes the technical platform for the official Ducati Superbikes that will compete in the 2019 season.
The 1,103cc 90° V4 engine has been replaced with the 998cc Desmosedici Stradale R which brings it within the displacement limits established by WSBK championship rules.
The bike features a new fairing incorporating wings elements of MotoGP origin. It also has race-grade Öhlins suspension with mechanical adjustment and an aluminium swingarm with an adjustable four-position pin. Moreover, the Front Frame has been modified to achieve the stiffness targets set by Ducati Corse. Sophisticated electronic controls borrowed from the Panigale V4 S now have revised threshold levels to make them more compatible with pro rider requirements.
Unlike the 1,103cc Desmosedici Stradale, designed to provide fluid power delivery and excellent low-rev pulling power for optimal road use, the 998cc Desmosedici Stradale R version offers more extreme performance as power delivery has been designed primarily for track riding.
The Desmosedici Stradale R features lighter internal components and greater air intake efficiency: this allows faster engine rev-up and shifts the rpm red zone higher to improve acceleration. The result is 221hp (162 kW) of power – which responds instantaneously to throttle movements – at 15,250rpm (EU homologation values), 2,250 rpm higher than on the 1,103cc.
It’s not just the racing-inspired livery that makes the Panigale V4 R unmistakeable. An aerodynamics package requested by Ducati Corse includes screen, nose fairing and side fairings to reduce drag. It also features specially shaped air vents to keep things cool during intense track use.
GP16-derived carbon fibre wings augment stability, reducing electronic control intervention.
The suspension system has been optimised for track use. Both the steering damper and the Öhlins suspension mount mechanically adjustable top-drawer components. More specifically, the brand new pressurized NPX 25/30 front forks take as-standard Öhlins components to new heights. The rear TTX36 shock absorber completes the package.
Ducati Panigale V4 R
- “R” livery with aluminium tank
- Main as-standard features:
- 90° Desmosedici Stradale V4, R version, 998 cm3, 221 hp (162 kW) at 15,250 rpm
- Forged steel crankshaft with reduced stroke
- Moulded aluminium pistons with single compression ring plus oil ring
- Titanium con rods
- Titanium intake valves
- Oval throttle bodies (Ø 56 mm equivalent) and aerodynamic throttle openings
- Dedicated variable-height air intake horns
- Exhaust manifolds of optimised length
- Cylinder heads with larger intake ducts
- High-permeability Sprintfilter P08 air filter
- Lightened, optimised-stiffness aluminium alloy Front Frame
- Pressurized Öhlins NPX 25-30 forks with manual adjustment
- Öhlins TTX36 shock absorber with manual adjustment
- Öhlins steering damper with manual adjustment
- Single-sided aluminium swingarm with adjustable pivot height (4 positions)
- Total Black Marchesini forged aluminium wheels
- Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP tyres (rear 200/60)
- Braking system with Brembo Stylema monobloc calipers
- Aero Pack with carbon fibre wings
- 16-litre aluminium fuel tank with racing lay-out
- Carbon fibre front mudguard
- Carbon fibre rear manifold heat guard
- Dedicated seat
- 15/42 final transmission with 520 chain
- Full-TFT 5” screen
- Riding Modes (Race, Sport, Street)
- Electronics package with 6-axis Inertial Measurement Unit (6D IMU) including: ABS Cornering Bosch EVO; Ducati Traction Control EVO (DTC) EVO; Ducati Slide Control (DSC); Ducati Wheelie Control EVO (DWC) EVO; Ducati Power Launch (DPL); Ducati Quick Shift up/down EVO (DQS) EVO; Engine Brake Control EVO (EBC) EVO.
- Pit Limiter
- Lap Timer EVO
- Keys for fast selection of controls
- Ducati Multimedia System (DMS)
- Full-LED headlight with DRL
- Single-seater configuration
- Ducati Data Analyser (DDA+) with GPS module
- Lithium-ion battery
- Supplied: aluminium mirror hole covers, plate holder removal kit
- Buy AND Sell your bike for FREE! Yeah, FREE. Place your ad and shift your stuff in front of more than EIGHT AND A HALF MILLION users. - 3 June 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: How to REPLACE your bike’s HOSES and COOLANT. Episode SIX. MoreBikes NEW motorcycle maintenance VIDEO series. - 1 May 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: Episode Five. Replace your bike’s Clutch Plates and Hose. - 24 April 2020
Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...
Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper
Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.
Get MoreBikes.co.uk Updates
Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.