Josh Brookes was first to strike as the 2019 Bennetts British Superbike Championship kicked off with the opening free practice session of the season at Silverstone this morning, topping the times by 0.013s for Be Wiser Ducati with the top 18 riders covered by just 0.977s.
It was a frantic switch during the 45 minute session with Scott Redding initially setting the benchmark as he makes his Superbike debut this weekend, with Jason O’Halloran in close contention on the leading McAMS Yamaha.
Redding held the advantage but then Christian Iddon moved ahead, the free practice this morning marking the first time the new BMW S1000RR has appeared in an official capacity in Bennetts BSB specification.
Brookes was on the move though and he edged back ahead with less than ten minutes left on the clock, before OMG Racing Suzuki’s Josh Elliot put in a time that put him at the top of the timesheets with just two minutes remaining.
Brookes was on a strong sequence of laps though and the 2015 champion went back to the top ahead of the chequered flag, putting himself -.013s ahead of Elliot with O’Halloran holding third.
Luke Stapleford marked his return to the championship in fourth place for Buildbase Suzuki with Iddon impressively holding fifth on the debut of the new BMW, pushing Redding into sixth place.
Luke Mossey and Dan Linfoot locked out seventh and eighth place respectively with Xavi Fores holding ninth ahead of his team-mate Andrew Irwin who completed the top ten.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Silverstone, Free Practice 1:
- Josh Brookes (Be Wiser Ducati) 54.196s
- Josh Elliott (OMG Racing Suzuki) +0.013s
- Jason O’Halloran (McAMS Yamaha) +0.039s
- Luke Stapleford (Buildbase Suzuki) +0.202s
- Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) +0.271s
- Scott Redding (Be Wiser Ducati) +0.284s
- Luke Mossey (OMG Racing Suzuki) +0.326s
- Dan Linfoot (Santander Salt TAG Yamaha) +0.492s
- Xavi Fores (Honda Racing) +0.604s
- Andrew Irwin (Honda Racing) +0.614s
- MotoGP: Jack Miller auctions helmet for bushfire crisis - 11 January 2020
- BSB: Barberá in OMG Racing move for 2020 Bennetts British Superbike Championship - 24 November 2019
- MotoGP: Viñales redeems Island fall to claim formidable Sepang win - 3 November 2019
Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...
Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper
Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.
Get MoreBikes.co.uk Updates
Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.