The Bennetts British Superbike Championship had two new race winners after the opening round of 2019 at Silverstone as Tarran Mackenzie fought back in the second race to score his first victory, after missing out in race one following a penalty.
On the opening lap Mackenzie hit the front of the pack, but he didn’t hold it for long as Dan Linfoot stormed ahead onboard the Santander Salt TAG Yamaha with Josh Elliott in close contention after winning the opening race.
There was more disappointment for Jason O’Halloran, who after crashing out in race one after a clash with his McAMS Yamaha team-mate, was forced to retire with a technical problem on lap four.
At the front Elliott and Linfoot were scrapping for the lead and the OMG Racing Suzuki rider was able to get back to the front, but behind a collision between Andrew Irwin and Scott Redding caused the Be Wiser Ducati star to crash out on lap six. Andrew Irwin was subsequently handed a Long Lap penalty that dropped him down the order, but he was able to climb back into seventh before the chequered flag.
A breakaway of four riders at the front was led by Elliott with Danny Buchan, Linfoot and Mackenzie giving chase. By lap 14 Mackenzie had grabbed the advantage and was holding off Elliott and Buchan, but the pack was closed up when Josh Brookes suffered a technical problem and was forced to retire the second Be Wiser Ducati out of sixth place, causing a BMW Safety Car intervention.
When the race resumed Mackenzie was immediately under pressure but held on to edge out an advantage over Elliott to score his first win ahead of Elliott and Buchan, who returned to the podium for the first time since Knockhill.
Tommy Bridewell and the Oxford Racing Ducati team celebrated an incredible fourth place after a challenging start to the weekend, holding off Luke Stapleford who continued to fight his way through the field into fifth place ahead of Luke Mossey.
Andrew Irwin held off his team-mate Xavi Forés for seventh with Dan Linfoot and Bradley Ray completing the top ten.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Silverstone, Race 2 result:
- Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha)
- Josh Elliott (OMG Racing Suzuki) +0.635s
- Danny Buchan (FS3-Racing Kawasaki) +1.004s
- Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Racing Ducati) +2.257s
- Luke Stapleford (Buildbase Suzuki) +3.944s
- Luke Mossey (OMG Racing Suzuki) +4.813s
- Andrew Irwin (Honda Racing) +7.368s
- Xavi Forés (Honda Racing) +7.587s
- Dan Linfoot (Santander Salt TAG Yamaha) +7.815s
- Bradley Ray (Buildbase Suzuki) +7.987s
Bennetts British Superbike Championship standings after Silverstone:
1. Josh Elliott (OMG Racing Suzuki) 45
=. Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) 45
3. Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Racing Ducati) 24
4. Luke Mossey (OMG Racing Suzuki) 23
=. Danny Buchan (FS3-Racing Kawasaki) 23
6. Luke Stapleford (Buildbase Suzuki) 20
- MotoGP: Jack Miller auctions helmet for bushfire crisis - 11 January 2020
- BSB: Barberá in OMG Racing move for 2020 Bennetts British Superbike Championship - 24 November 2019
- MotoGP: Viñales redeems Island fall to claim formidable Sepang win - 3 November 2019
Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...
Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper
Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.
Get MoreBikes.co.uk Updates
Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.