Road safety charity the IAM is calling for protective motorcycle clothing to have clear labelling for the amount of protection it gives. The call comes after research from 700 respondents shows that motorcyclists find it difficult and time-consuming to find the right clothing at the right price.
Eighty-five per cent of motorcyclists consider protection the most important factor when purchasing motorcycle clothing. This was closely followed by sixty-seven per cent of respondents who saw comfort and fit as an important factor.
Nearly every motorcyclist who took part in the research had spent time researching protective clothing but 43 per cent of respondents felt the right information was only available if you look hard enough.
Motorcyclists are willing to pay for top quality gear as only 30 per cent of respondents consider price a priority.
Other research results included:
- 71 per cent of respondents believed the brand partly contributes to the effectiveness of protective clothing.
- 60 per cent said the torso was considered the most important part of the body requiring protection. 46 per cent said hands and legs.
- 90 cent of motorcyclists stated that they always wear motorcycle protective clothing when riding.
- 48 per cent of respondents believe that protective clothing (other than the use of a helmet) should be compulsory.
IAM chief executive Simon Best said: “The industry must introduce a safety labelling for clothing like the SHARP rating for helmets. Not only will it provide better guidance on the best way to stay safe on the roads, it will give motorcyclists clear and unbiased information and advice that they need. The current situation is confusing and relies too much on promotional information to be of any real use in making a judgement.”
The IAM is the UK’s largest independent road safety charity, dedicated to improving standards and safety in driving, motorcycling and cycling. The commercial division of the IAM operates through its occupational driver training company IAM Drive & Survive. The IAM has more than 200 local volunteer groups and over 100,000 members in the UK and Ireland. It is best known for the advanced driving test and the advanced driving, motorcycling and cycling courses. Its policy and research division offers advice and expertise on road safety.
- Buy AND Sell your bike for FREE! Yeah, FREE. Place your ad and shift your stuff in front of more than EIGHT AND A HALF MILLION users. - 3 June 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: How to REPLACE your bike’s HOSES and COOLANT. Episode SIX. MoreBikes NEW motorcycle maintenance VIDEO series. - 1 May 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: Episode Five. Replace your bike’s Clutch Plates and Hose. - 24 April 2020
Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...
Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper
Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.
Get MoreBikes.co.uk Updates
Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.