Peter Hickman topped the times after the opening Bennetts British Superbike Championship free practice sessions at Thruxton today, launching the Smiths Racing BMW to the fastest time in the Hampshire heat as he bids for a place in the Showdown.
Hickman had topped the opening session and with the times improving in the afternoon, the Smiths Racing BMW rider stayed at the top with an edge of just 0.273s from FS-3 Racing Kawasaki’s Danny Buchan who surged up the order in the closing stages.
Multiple Thruxton race winner Josh Brookes moved up into third to lead the Be Wiser Ducati charge, narrowly ahead of Jason O’Halloran on the McAMS Yamaha as four different manufacturers featured in the leading positions.
Championship leader Scott Redding was fifth fastest on his first visit to Thruxton with Glenn Irwin clocking a time to end the opening day in sixth place on his debut with Tyco BMW and narrowly ahead of his brother Andrew.
Rookie Ryan Vickers climbed inside the top ten in the afternoon session; the RAF Regular & Reserve Kawasaki rider edging out Ben Currie on the leading Quattro Plant JG Speedfit Kawasaki. His teammate Hector Barbera had a crash in the second session, the Spanish rider sustained a fracture to his right fibula and is having physio. He will be reviewed for fitness tomorrow before free practice three.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Thruxton, Free Practice 2:
- Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW) 1m:15.140s
- Danny Buchan (FS-3 Racing Kawasaki) +0.273s
- Josh Brookes (Be Wiser Ducati) +0.439s
- Jason O’Halloran (McAMS Yamaha) +0.467s
- Scott Redding (Be Wiser Ducati) +0.584s
- Glenn Irwin (Tyco BMW) +0.623s
- Andrew Irwin (Honda Racing) +0.642s
- Ryan Vickers (RAF Regular & Reserve Kawasaki) +0.655s
- Ben Currie (Quattro Plant JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.702s
- Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Racing Ducati) +0.716s
- MotoGP: Jack Miller auctions helmet for bushfire crisis - 11 January 2020
- BSB: Barberá in OMG Racing move for 2020 Bennetts British Superbike Championship - 24 November 2019
- MotoGP: Viñales redeems Island fall to claim formidable Sepang win - 3 November 2019
Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...
Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper
Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.
Get MoreBikes.co.uk Updates
Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.