Josh Brookes saved his best until last in Bennetts British Superbike Championship Free Practice 3 at Donington Park, moving 0.387s ahead of his Be Wiser Ducati teammate Scott Redding in the closing minute of the session ahead of Datatag Qualifying.
At the start of the session, Peter Hickman had been one of the first riders to set a flying lap, but soon the Be Wiser Ducatis hit the top of the timing screens with Redding leading Brookes after the opening ten minutes.
Bradley Ray was surging up the order though and he was soon into second to split the teammates at the top with Taylor Mackenzie also inside the top five for Tyco BMW narrowly ahead of Andrew Irwin, who had topped yesterday’s action for Honda Racing.
The top five was consistent in the final 20 minutes of the session but on the final exits from pitlane there were some big improvements with Danny Buchan moving from outside the top 15 into fourth for FS3-Racing Kawasaki.
Redding had been holding the top spot but Brookes snatched the advantage at the chequered flag, with Hickman moving into third in the final minutes for Smiths Racing BMW, as the top four places were locked out by Showdown contenders.
Ray held fifth for Buildbase Suzuki ahead of Christian Iddon on the leading Tyco BMW with Tommy Bridewell returning to the top ten in seventh place for Oxford Racing Ducati.
Dan Linfoot was another rider to improve in the closing stages to hold eighth place ahead of the McAMS Yamaha pairing of Jason O’Halloran and Tarran Mackenzie.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Donington Park, Free Practice 3 result:
- Josh Brookes (Be Wiser Ducati) 1m:29.337s
- Scott Redding (Be Wiser Ducati) +0.387s
- Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW) +0.684s
- Danny Buchan (FS3-Racing Kawasaki) +0.738s
- Bradley Ray (Buildbase Suzuki) +0.835s
- Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) +0.948s
- Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Racing Ducati) +0.985s
- Dan Linfoot (Santander Salt TAG Yamaha) +1.009s
- Jason O’Halloran (McAMS Yamaha) +1.101s
- Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) +1.149s
- MotoGP: Jack Miller auctions helmet for bushfire crisis - 11 January 2020
- BSB: Barberá in OMG Racing move for 2020 Bennetts British Superbike Championship - 24 November 2019
- MotoGP: Viñales redeems Island fall to claim formidable Sepang win - 3 November 2019
Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...
Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper
Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.
Get MoreBikes.co.uk Updates
Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.