Scott Redding maintained his winning momentum in the Bennetts British Superbike Championship Showdown by claiming the opening victory at Donington Park, managing the race from the lead to hold the advantage over Tommy Bridewell and Josh Brookes.
At the start of the race Brookes had launched off the line to lead the pack into Redgate for the first time ahead of Redding and Christian Iddon with Bradley Ray and Tommy Bridewell in close contention.
Brookes was heading the pack for Be Wiser Ducati until the third lap when Iddon went for a decisive move with the pair touching at Starkeys Bridge, the move unsettled Brookes and dropped him back to fourth and into the clutches of Peter Hickman.
Redding then had the advantage from Bridewell and Iddon, and started edging out a gap to try and break the pack. The championship leader had been able to set a consistent pace to break Bridewell, but at mid-race distance the rain flags were shown and the gap decreased as the Oxford Racing Ducati rider pushed to bridge the gap.
Redding though was able to keep his cool to maintain a gap to give him the edge at the chequered flag, but behind the battle for third had turned into a three-way fight between Iddon, Brookes and Hickman.
Iddon was holding the position for Tyco BMW, but as he exited Goddards he lost a footpeg and then had to try and deliver at damage limitation performance which saw him end the race in sixth place as Brookes took advantage of the situation.
Brookes held off Hickman for third with Andrew Irwin fighting his way through from 14th on the grid to claim fifth place for Honda Racing, pushing Iddon back with two laps to go as he continued to try and fight on.
Xavi Forés was seventh ahead of Ryan Vickers who scored another top ten finish for RAF Regular & Reserve Kawasaki following a fierce battle with Luke Mossey and Danny Buchan who grabbed tenth place ahead of Jason O’Halloran and Tarran Mackenzie.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Donington Park, Race 1 result:
- Scott Redding (Be Wiser Ducati)
- Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Racing Ducati) +2.094s
- Josh Brookes (Be Wiser Ducati) +5.101s
- Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW) +7.895s
- Andrew Irwin (Honda Racing) +12.973s
- Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) +15.249s
- Xavi Forés (Honda Racing) +17.671s
- Ryan Vickers (RAF Regular & Reserve Kawasaki) +18.215s
- Luke Mossey (OMG Racing Suzuki) +18.780s
- Danny Buchan (FS-3 Racing Kawasaki) +19.001s
Bennetts British Superbike Championship standings after Donington Park Race 1:
- Scott Redding (Be Wiser Ducati) 620
- Josh Brookes (Be Wiser Ducati) 597
- Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Racing Ducati) 564
- Danny Buchan (FS-3 Racing Kawasaki) 546
- Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) 531
- Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW) 530
- MotoGP: Jack Miller auctions helmet for bushfire crisis - 11 January 2020
- BSB: Barberá in OMG Racing move for 2020 Bennetts British Superbike Championship - 24 November 2019
- MotoGP: Viñales redeems Island fall to claim formidable Sepang win - 3 November 2019
Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...
Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper
Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.
Get MoreBikes.co.uk Updates
Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.