Adverse weather conditions brought the session to an early stop and riders convened with the MotoGP Safety Commission
Marc Marquez (Respol Honda Team) was quickest in Free Practice 4 at the Pramac Generac Australian Grand Prix fastest before it was red-flagged, after Miguel Oliveira fell victim to a huge crash, as he was blown off the track on entry into Turn 1, with the session red-flagged moments later.
A dry session was marred by gusts of high wind, making it difficult for riders to follow their lines and push the pace. Regardless, the World Champion was fastest on his eighth lap before the red flags came out, ahead of Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP rider Maverick Viñales, who was 0.351 seconds adrift. Pol Espargaro (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) was third fastest, 0.762 adrift of Marquez, whilst Alex Rins (Team Suzuki Ecstar) put four different manufacturers inside the top 4 and Petronas Yamaha SRT’s Franco Morbidelli finding a more suitable setup on his Yamaha M1 to round off the top 5.
With 13 minutes of the session remaining the red flags were brought out, bringing it to an early close. Riders convened with the MotoGP Safety Commission to decide on the remaining sessions of the day.
Stay tuned to motogp.com for all the latest updates from Phillip Island as they happen.
1. Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) – 1:31.185
2. Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 0.351
3. Pol Espargaro (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) + 0.762
4. Alex Rins (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 0.929
5. Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha SRT) + 0.931
6. Johann Zarco (LCR Honda Idemitsu) + 1.141
7. Valentino Rossi (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 1.574
8. Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda Castrol) + 1.629
9. Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 1.631
10. Miguel Oliveira (Red Bull KTM Tech 3) + 1.677