With a newly developed engine, suspension and an unladen weight of 226kg – 10kg less than its predecessor – the S 1000 XR has been launched in Italy at EICMA.
The new S 1000 XR has the following standard features on board: Dynamic ESA, riding modes Pro, ABS Pro and DTC, Hill Start Control Pro, a 6.5” TFT screen complete with connectivity and full LED lighting.
Newly developed engine weighing 5 kg less and based on the S 1000 RR
The newly developed in-line 4-cylinder engine is based on the S 1000 RR engine and delivers an output of 165hp (121kW) @ 11,000rpm. The maximum torque of 114 Nm is available at 9,250 rpm. The 4th, 5th and 6th gear now have longer ratios in order to reduce noise, fuel consumption and engine speed level, especially at country road speeds. In addition to a smoother and self-reinforcing anti-hopping clutch, the new S 1000 XR also features engine drag torque control (MSR) for the first time. Electronically controlled, the MSR prevents the rear wheel from slipping as a result of abrupt throttling or downshifting.
Completely new, lighter suspension with directly articulated suspension strut and Dynamic ESA/Dynamic ESA Pro.
Just like the motorcycle as a whole, the suspension has been slimmed down considerably. The frame and swinging arm are now 2.1 kg lighter; at the same time, the engine has a much more pronounced load-bearing function than before. The new double-sided swinging arm reduces unsprung masses by 1.6 kg, offering a particularly sensitive response thanks to direct linkage.
The new S 1000 XR already features the latest generation of BMW Motorrad Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) as standard. Thanks to the latest valve technology, the versatile Adventure sports bike provides a particularly dynamic riding experience with a high level of ride comfort. Dynamic ESA Pro is available as an optional extra with two damping modes (Road, Dynamic) and automatic load compensation. For the first time in the S 1000 XR, the dynamic brake assistant DBC (Dynamic Brake Control) also supports the rider during braking.
Four riding modes along with the latest generation of Dynamic Traction Control DTC and DTC Wheelie function. ABS Pro with DBC (Dynamic Brake Control) for even greater safety when braking in banking position.
The new S 1000 XR has four standard riding modes – “Rain”, “Road”, “Dynamic” and “Dynamic Pro”. The “Dynamic Pro” mode, which can be fully configured for the first time in the S 1000 XR, offers a wide range of setting options. In addition to throttle response, engine brake, ABS control and traction control, wheelie control (including the new “Power Wheelie” setting) can be configured separately for the first time in the new S 1000 XR. ABS Pro now takes the braking a step further to offer increased safety when braking in banking position as well.
Multifunctional instrument panel with 6.5-inch TFT screen for excellent readability and maximum range of information.
The instrument cluster in the new S 1000 XR has also been completely redeveloped. In addition to an extended range of functions and information, particular importance was attached to achieving the best possible readability. It offers tailor-made screen displays for a range of different purposes. The Pure Ride screen has all the information required for regular riding on the road, for instance, while an additional Core screen enables banking positing, braking and traction control to be displayed. Another possible screen display provides a vehicle status overview. A practical arrow navigation system with app is included as standard. The TFT display is operated conveniently from the handlebars using the MMC (Motorcycle Multi Controller).
New LED light units and adaptive turning light with DRL in Headlight Pro as an ex-works option.
All lighting units in the ECE version of the new S 1000 XR draw on the latest LED technology (the US version has no front LED turn indicators). In addition to the turn indicators and the rear light unit, this includes the high-intensity main headlamp with two symmetrically arranged LED units each for low beam, high beam and parking light. The new LED headlamp now illuminates the road even more effectively than before. In the ex-works option Headlight Pro, the adaptive turning light ensures additional safety when riding at night. The optional equipment item Headlight Pro also includes DRL (Daytime Riding Light). LED additional headlamps are also available as ex-works options for improved visibility at night and enhanced recognition in road traffic.
The new S 1000 XR comes in two different colourschemes: the basic finish in Ice Grey and the highly dynamic finish in Racing Red/White Aluminium, available at extra cost.
The highlights of the new BMW S 1000 XR:
• 5 kg lighter, newly developed 4-cylinder in-line engine based on the
S 1000 RR with further optimised mid-range power and ridability as well as new transmission gradation for the 4th – 6th gear.
• Superior performance and torque: 165hp (121kW) @ 11,000 rpm and 114Nm @ 9,250rpm.
• Effort-saving, linear torque curve: even better rideability over the entire speed range.
• Newly developed suspension featuring Flex Frame, with the engine taking on a more pronounced load-bearing function.
• Significantly improved ergonomics due to Flex Frame.
• Dynamic ESA as standard plus Dynamic ESA Pro with two damping modes (Road, Dynamic) and automatic load compensation as ex-works options.
• New 19% lighter swinging arm with directly articulated suspension strut for an even more sensitive response.
• Dynamic brake assistant DBC Dynamic Brake Control.
• Weight reduction by 10 kg to 226 kg (adjusted for equipment) as compared to the predecessor model.
• New, lighter exhaust system, EU5-compliant.
• New 6-axis sensor cluster.
• Dynamic Traction Control DTC as standard.
• DTC Wheelie Function as standard.
• Engine drag torque control MSR and engine brake function as standard.
• ABS Pro for increased safety when braking, also in banking position, as standard. Dedicated rain braking mode with flat brake pressure gradient.
• Four riding modes “Rain”, “Road”, “Dynamic” and “Dynamic Pro” as standard.
• Hill Start Control Pro as standard.
• HP Shift Assistant Pro for quick up and down shifting without clutch as an ex-works option.
• Electronic cruise control as an ex works option.
• New instrument cluster with 6.5-inch, easy-to-read TFT screen and four screen displays.
• LED light units all round.
• Turn indicators with new “Comfort Indicator” function.
• Adaptive turning light incl. DRL as part of Headlight Pro as an ex-works option.
• Completely redesigned bodywork for an even more dynamic design style, optimised aerodynamics and even further enhanced wind and weather protection.
• Two colour schemes for the market launch: Ice Grey and Racing Red/White Aluminium (extra charge).
• Extension of the range of Original BMW Motorrad Accessories and ex-works options.
- Buy AND Sell your bike for FREE! Yeah, FREE. Place your ad and shift your stuff in front of more than EIGHT AND A HALF MILLION users. - 3 June 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: How to REPLACE your bike’s HOSES and COOLANT. Episode SIX. MoreBikes NEW motorcycle maintenance VIDEO series. - 1 May 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: Episode Five. Replace your bike’s Clutch Plates and Hose. - 24 April 2020
Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...
Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper
Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.
Get MoreBikes.co.uk Updates
Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.