BMW is expanding its range of mid capacity motorcycles for 2020, unveiling its F 900 R and the F 900 XR at the EICMA show.
The F900R is BMW’s new mid-sized roadster, while the F900XR is the German factories new Adventure Sports machine. And they both look the part.
Powered by the same 2-cylinder in-line engine as the F850GS, the new F 900 R and F 900 XR manage to eek out more power from the tried and tested motor. It now kicks out 77 kW (105hp) – thanks in part to an increase in capacity up to 895 cc (from 853 cc).
Like the GS models in the F Series, the new F900R and F900XR use a steel bridge frame that integrates the engine as a load-bearing element. Suspension is taken care of by an upside-down telescopic fork up at the front, while at the rear there’s a double-sided swinging arm with central suspension strut.
The F900R and F900XR also set a new technological benchmark in the mid-range segment with their high-quality standard equipment (Connectivity, LED all round as standard) and their wide range of optional extras – in some cases unique in this class (including Adaptive Cornering Light, Keyless Ride, Dynamic ESA, Riding Modes Pro, Shift Assistant Pro, Intelligent Emergency Call, ABS Pro, MSR, DTC, DBC, RDC).
The two bikes offer “Rain” and “Road” riding modes as standard – and the standard machines also come with ABS and ASC Automatic Stability Control (which can easily be turned off). As always with BMW, there’s also a wide variety of aftermarket customisation available – and that means you can choose from a bank of additional driving modes. It’s also possible to fit BMW Motorrad’s Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) as an optional extra.
The new mid-capacity BMW’s come with light, plastic-welded fuel tanks with a capacity of 15.5 litres (F 900 XR) and 13 litres (F 900 R). And they’re a world first in motorcycle construction. The two machines also come with a 6.5-inch TFT screen with BMW Motorrad Connectivity as standard.
The new F900R is available in Blackstorm metallic, San Marino Blue metallic and Style Sport in Hockenheim Silver metallic/Racing Red – while the new F900XR is available in Light White, Galvanic Gold metallic (Exclusive) and in Racing Red (Sport).
• The new BMW F 900 R: the dynamic roadster for purist riding fun.
• The new BMW F 900 XR: a genuine “XR” for the mid-range.
• The powerful common backbone integrates the further developed
2-cylinder in-line engine with an increased capacity of 895 cc (previously 853 cc).
• Further enhanced output and torque: 77 kW (105 hp) at 8 750 rpm and 92 Nm at 6 500 rpm.
• More than 87 Nm torque in the relevant lower speed range from 4 500 to 8 500 rpm.
• 35 kW (48 hp) version available for licence class A2.
• High level of running smoothness due to two opposed counterbalance shafts.
• Two riding modes “Rain” and “Road” as well as ABS and ASC as standard.
• Riding Modes Pro with two further riding modes as well as Dynamic Traction Control (DTC), ABS Pro, Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) and engine drag torque control (MSR) as ex works options.
• Steel bridge frame for optimum rigidity, robustness and riding precision.
• Newly developed slim steel rear frame.
• World first in motorcycle construction: light, plastic-welded fuel tanks with a capacity of 13 litres (F 900 R) and 15.5 litres (F 900 XR).
• Front upside-down telescopic fork and aluminium double-sided swinging arm with rear central suspension strut.
• Spring travel: 135 mm (F 900 R) and 170 mm (F 900 XR) at front, 142 mm (F 900 R) and 172 mm (F 900 XR) at rear.
• Electronic suspension adjustment Dynamic ESA at rear as an ex works option.
• ABS Pro for even greater safety when braking at an angle as an ex works option.
• Sophisticated ergonomics and numerous seat alternatives.
• Fairing with practical wind and weather protection and adjustable windshield (F 900 XR).
• Adaptive Cornering Light unique in the mid-range as part of the ex works option Headlight Pro.
• Perfectly readable colour 6.5-inch TFT screen with BMW motorcycle connectivity as standard.
• Powerful LED lighting units all round as standard.
• Intelligent Emergency Call as an ex works option for swift assistance in emergency situations.
• Keyless Ride for convenient activation of the locking functions by remote control as an ex works option.
• F 900 R in dynamic roadster design with muscular front section, aggressive headlight graphics and short, slim rear section.
• F 900 XR in Adventure Sport look with striking contours and sporty, dynamic fairing.
• High-quality workmanship down to the last detail.
• Three powerful colour and style variants each for unmistakable roadster and adventure sport characters.
• Extensive range of optional extras and Original BMW Motorrad Accessories as well as rider equipment.
- Harley-Davidson drops 750cc, 883cc and 1202cc V2 powered bikes from European range. - 24 September 2020
- Jawa’s 300CL is coming to Europe. Here’s what YOU need to know. - 24 September 2020
- Honda teases new Forza 750 for 2021 - 23 September 2020
Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...
Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper
Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.
Get MoreBikes.co.uk Updates
Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.