The Federation of European Motorcyclists’ Associations (FEMA) is asking bikers if car drivers should be allowed to ride two wheelers without taking an additional test. And you can get involved.

SURVEY: Should car drivers be able to ride bikes? FEMA wants to know what YOU think.

In some European countries, car licence holders are allowed to ride an A1 licence (125cc) motorcycle or scooter – but that’s not the case in the UK. At present, you can ride a 50cc moped if you passed your car test before 1 February 2001 – but to ride a 125cc machine, you need to pass your Compulsory Basic Training. FEMA are questioning if that’s the right approach.

FEMA’s introduction to the survey explains: “The current focus of the European mobility strategies is on public transport, cycling and walking. However, public transport will never reach everywhere in urban areas and cycling and walking are only possible for limited distances. There will always be a need for individual motorised personal transport. FEMA foresees a growing role for powered two-wheelers, especially motorcycles, instead of cars.”


To investigate how bikers feel about car drivers getting on two wheels without taking a test, FEMA’s published a survey, consisting of five multiple-choice questions, it’ll only take a couple of minutes to complete – and might just help shape public policy towards motorcycles across Europe.

To let FEMA know what you think, visit:

Ross Mowbray

Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...

Bikes for sale

Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper

Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.

Get Updates

Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...

You can unsubscribe at any time.