Despite a buyer’s best intentions, if a dream used motorcycle becomes available at the right price, often the budget can be quickly forgotten as the heart rules the head. Therefore, HPI, the provider of www.hpicheck.com is offering a helping hand so that used buyers can negotiate a good deal. HPI’s simple guide to bartering a bargain offers tips on what to say when negotiating the price on a used motorbike, when buying privately or through a dealer.
www.hpicheck.com Senior Consumer Services Manager, Shane Teskey, explains, “All too often used buyers find the machine they want and have to pay the full sticker price because they are let down by their poor negotiating skills. The way you ask certain questions can make a real difference when clinching a good deal.
“The trick to a good negotiation is to make sure the vendor or salesperson knows you’re a serious buyer without appearing desperate. Before you start searching the online ads and the local dealerships, do some research on the marketplace, that way you can demonstrate your knowledge.”
HPI advises used buyers to do some homework, to understand current market value. Then it’s time to set a budget and stick to it. It’s easy to be taken in by shiny paintwork, but beware any vehicle with a below market value price tag. It could be priced to sell, but it could also be hiding something more serious. For example a clocked or stolen vehicle could be sold as a bargain in order to cheat unsuspecting buyers out of their hard-earned cash. If a vehicle turns out to be stolen or on outstanding finance, buyers could lose the vehicle and the money they paid for it when it’s returned to the rightful owner. Before you do any hard bargaining, get an HPI Check to be able to barter with peace of mind.
What NOT to say:
• I really like this bike
• Have you sold many today?
• What sort of discounts are people getting at the moment?
• Please can I have a discount?
• Are you sure you can’t meet my budget?
• Is that all that my old bike is worth?
• What will it cost if I pay in cash?
What you SHOULD say:
• I’m interested in this bike, but I need more on my old one
• Has it ever been in accident?
• How much discount will you give me?
• Can you meet my budget – if not, I can buy elsewhere?
• I’ve seen a better deal at (mention a nearby competitor)
• If we can agree on £xxxx then you have a deal
• Has it been HPI Checked?
The HPI Check includes a mileage check against the National Mileage Register as standard, now with over 160 million mileage readings. HPI also confirms whether a vehicle is currently recorded as stolen with the police, has outstanding finance against it or has been written off, making it the best way for consumers to protect themselves from fraudsters looking to make a fast profit. In addition, the HPI Check offers a £30,000 Guarantee in the event of the information it provides being inaccurate, offering added financial peace of mind to used car buyers. The HPI Inspection is available from £99.
- Buy AND Sell your bike for FREE! Yeah, FREE. Place your ad and shift your stuff in front of more than EIGHT AND A HALF MILLION users. - 3 June 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: How to REPLACE your bike’s HOSES and COOLANT. Episode SIX. MoreBikes NEW motorcycle maintenance VIDEO series. - 1 May 2020
- FETTLING FRIDAY: Episode Five. Replace your bike’s Clutch Plates and Hose. - 24 April 2020
Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...
Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper
Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.
Get MoreBikes.co.uk Updates
Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.