BMW has updated the most popular travel enduro bike in the world, the R1200GS.
With the update, BMW has introduced styling packages to the GS range. Customers can now give a BMW GS a more marked touch of enduro or distinguished style to suit its preferred area of use by ordering the style packages Rallye and Exclusive.
Powered as before by the air/liquid-cooled boxer with an output of 125bhp at 7,750rpm and a maximum torque of 125Nm at 6,500rpm, the new R 1200 GS now has an altered catalytic converter and a new data status for the engine management to meet the latest EU4 requirements.
There are two riding modes: Rain and Road as standard in conjunction with Automatic Stability Control ASC for optimum traction. Riding Modes Pro can be fitted as optional extra, featuring the additional riding modes Dynamic and Dynamic Pro, Enduro and Enduro Pro as well Dynamic Traction Control DTC. Other elements of Riding Modes Pro are the new set-off assistant Hill Start Control, ABS Pro and the dynamic brake light which is even more effective in drawing attention to the fact that the motorcycle is braking.
Another optional extra is the BMW Motorrad Dynamic ESA “Next Generation” (Electronic Suspension Adjustment): the damping automatically adapts to the situation depending on riding condition and manoeuvres, and there is also an automatic self-levelling function to compensate all load states.
An overview of the highlights of the new BMW R 1200 GS:
- Boxer engine with new catalytic converter and adapted data status to meet EU4 requirements and an unchanged output of 92 kW (125 hp) at 7 750 rpm.
- New appearance with visually enhanced robustness.
- More marked styling and attractive colour variants.
- Even more ergonomics options with numerous seat heights and seat variants.
- Significantly wider spread of model variations in relation to the basic version, from the refined R 1200 GS Exclusive through to the R 1200 GS Rallye for riders with off-road aspirations.
- R 1200 GS Rallye – new version with additional product substance: Rallye seat, sports windshield, radiator and frame guard, wide enduro footrests and cross-spoke wheels as well as a professional sports suspension and optional studded tyres.
- Innovative functions provided by the latest generation of Dynamic ESA: automatic damping mode and automatic self-levelling suspension for a new riding experience.
- Riding Modes Pro with DTC, Hill Start Control and the new customisable modes Modi Dynamic Pro and Enduro Pro as optional equipment items ex works.
- New optional accessories such as cylinder protection bracket, topcase for two helmets and off-road protection parts as well as radiator guard and frame guard.
BMW R 1200 GS
Capacity cc 1170
Bore/stroke mm 101/73
Output kW/hp 92/125 at engine speed rpm 7750
Torque Nm 125 at engine speed rpm 6500
Type Air/water-cooled 2-cylinder opposed-twin engine
No. of cylinders 2
Compression/fuel 12.5:1 / premium unleaded (95 RON)
Valve/accelerator actuation DOHC
Valves per cylinder 4
Ø Intake/outlet mm 40/34
Ø Throttle valves mm 52
Emission control Closed-loop three-way catalytic converter, exhaust standard EU4
Alternator W 620
Battery V/Ah 12/12 maintenance-free
Headlight W H7/LED (option)
Starter kW 0.9
Power transmission – gearbox
Clutch Anti-hopping wet clutch
Gearbox Constant-mesh 6-speed gearbox
Primary ratio 1.65
Rear wheel drive Universal shaft
Transmission ratio 2.91
Frame construction type Tubular steel bridge, self-supporting engine
Front wheel suspension BMW Telelever
Rear wheel suspension BMW EVO Paralever
Total spring travel, front/rear mm 190/200
Wheel castor mm 99.6
Wheelbase mm 1507
Steering head angle ° 64.5
Brakes front Hydraulically activated twin disc brake, Ø 305 mm rear Single-disc brake Ø 276 mm
BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (as standard, part integral, disengageable)
Wheels Light alloy cast wheel (front 3.0 x 19″, rear 4.5 x 17″)Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.