With the MotoGP season set to finally get underway next month, Medical Director Dr Charte has outlined the ‘very strict’ protocol that’s being put in place to keep the paddock safe.
Ahead of the planned return to racing at the Circuito de Jerez in July, MotoGP’s Medical Director Dr Angel Charte has outlined Dorna Sports, the FIM and IRTA’s new coronavirus protocol.
In an interview with motogp.com, Dr Charte outlined the key points of the new protocol which will be in place for Jerez. Here’s a look at what organisers doing to try and keep the paddock coronavirus free;
– Do a Covid-19 test three days before the event
– Self-isolation for three days (after doing the test until the event)
– There will be random testing, if necessary, at the circuit
– Quiron Prevencion (part of Quiron Salut) will work with the MotoGP medical team to ensure safety
– Use of PPE by all personnel whilst traveling to the circuit and at the circuit
– Use of facemasks at all times when possible, encourage handwashing/hygiene guidelines
– Isolating personnel into groups, including riders on the same team – each rider will have their pre-defined team – and they won’t be able to mix
– Follow social distancing guidelines
– Tracking data using an app for the tests, daily checkups and who’s in contact with whom
– Daily medical checkups for all 1200 members of the paddock to look out for possible symptoms
– A lower capacity and staggered timetable in the Clinica Mobile so it doesn’t get too crowded
– Medical staff to use PPE and Covid-19 safety measures just like any hospital in Spain/Europe
– Anyone suspected of having the virus (showing symptoms) will be sent to a confined area of the medical centre for further examination
– If there’s a high chance of it being Covid-19 they will be sent directly to a local hospital (which will be on standby) where further swab, antibody and lung function tests will be carried out
– If the tests come back negative the person will return to the circuit and be treated in the medical centre
– If the tests come back positive for coronavirus they will be confined to the hospital or an assigned hotel under MotoGP medical direction control
MotoGP bosses can’t take any chances as it’s got an action packed schedule to get through.. But it sounds like they’ve got it covered ahead of the action getting underway on July 19 at the Circuito de Jerez.
For more information on all things MotoGP, click HERE.
- Prototype ELECTRIC motocrosser based on Yamaha’s YZ250F - 10 August 2020
- VIDEO: Pol Tarrés shows us how it’s done on Yamaha’s Tenere 700 - 10 August 2020
- PATENTS: BMW’s bringing back the C1. But this time it’ll be electric. - 6 August 2020
Does this get you revved up? Tell us why...
Subscribe to MoreBikes Newspaper
Get MoreBikes delivered through your letterbox every month. 12 issues for £15. Click here for more information.
Get MoreBikes.co.uk Updates
Enter your e-mail address below and you will receive biking news straight into your inbox...
You can unsubscribe at any time.